Hello, another school year of uncertainty.
Hello, Practice families!
And welcome back to another school year of uncertainty. I don’t know about you, but I’m kicking off this school year feeling a little down and rather overwhelmed about the current state of affairs in our country and around the world… not to mention feeling like I’m just waiting for the hammer to drop as I see how long my kids are going to make it in school before they’re both home quarantining or waiting on COVID tests!
I think we’d all hoped that things were on the upswing, and normal life was not far in front of us. And maybe it is? (Or maybe not?). But where we are starting the year seems to be more of the same: being in this same space of not knowing how things are going to unfold.
And that’s on top of the normal start of the school year stress, chaos, and anxiety as we and our kids adjust to new beginnings and new routines (I’m not the only one whose new kindergartner is having epic meltdowns on the daily, right?! ).
Bottom line? As we all move forward into this week and this new school year, let’s do our best to take things one a day at a time. To do our best to meet our needs and our kids’ needs, in this moment. Things are constantly shifting and changing. That includes this pandemic, it includes our kids’ behavior, it includes our own optimism and ability to cope or show up in the way that we want to.
Sending all of you warm wishes as you and your families navigate the beginning of this new school year– and a few links that are getting me through.
- Don’t know, maybe (YouTube parody GEM from the Holderness Family)
- Why back to school can be a tough time (Hunter Clarke-Fields, Raising Good Humans… and a few ways to help everyone cope (Dr. Becky Kennedy, Good Inside)
- Our back to school newsletter from LAST fall, on coping with uncertainty.
- 2021 school year bingo (McSweeney’s)
- My COVID parenting has reached peak inconsistency (Slate)
- Does anyone want to hear about burned out moms anymore? (The Cut)
- Mom friends make their comeback (Parents)
Have a GREAT school year, everyone. (Maybe. )
P.S., just a reminder that our new session of Mighty Moms starts this Wednesday, 9/1 (12:00-1:00pm Pacific)! If you’re a mom looking for an emotional boost and some problem-solving support, come join us for this new program– part class, part support group, part self-care. More information and registration here.