Recommended Books on Mindfulness
Nina Kaiser, Ph.D. created the Mighty Minds program in 2014 as a means of teaching children and teens cognitive-behavioral and mindfulness-based strategies to:
- Notice big emotions
- Practice behavioral strategies to calm down
- Evaluate the thoughts behind negative emotions
- Ground down into the present moment
Over the course of time, Nina realized that these are key life skills that all children would benefit from learning. We continue to offer Mighty Minds groups on a regular basis. For more information or to join our rolling registration process, visit our Mighty Minds page.
Supporting Our Kids
Chansky, Tamar (2014). Freeing Your Child from Anxiety, Revised and Updated Edition: Practical Strategies to Overcome Fears, Worries, and Phobias and Be Prepared for Life—from Toddlers to Teens. Harmony.
Chansky, Tamar (2008). Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness. Da Capo Lifelong Books.
Flynn, Lisa (2013). Yoga for Children: 200+ Yoga Poses, Breathing Exercises, and Meditations for Healthier, Happier, More Resilient Children. Adams Media.
Greenland, Susan (2010). The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate. Free Press.
Hanh, Thich Nhat (2011). Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children. Parallax Press.
Harper Cohen, Jennifer (2013). Little Flower Yoga for Kids. New Harbinger.
Saltzman, Amy (2014). A still quiet place: A mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions. New Harbinger Publications.
Shapiro, Lawrence, & Sprague, Robin (2009). The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook for Kids: Help for Children to Cope with Stress, Anxiety, and Transitions. Instant Help Books.
Snel, Eline (2013). Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents). Shambala Publications.
- Tsabary, Shefali (2010). The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children. Namaste Publishing.
Checking-in With Ourselves
- Chödrön, Pema (2012). Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change. Shambala Publications.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat (2008). Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well-being. Parallax Press.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon & Myla (1997). Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting. Hyperion
- Naumburg, Carla (2014). Parenting in the Present Moment: How to Stay Focused on What Really Matters. Parallax Press.
- Race, Kristen (2013). Mindful Parenting: Simple and powerful solutions for raising creative, engaged, happy kids in today’s hectic world. St. Martin’s Griffin.
Please note, we are part of the Amazon Affiliate program, and we earn a small commission when you purchase from our recommended reading list using the links above. Click here to return to our online resources and activities.
Join our mailing list for exclusive updates:
Practice San Francisco has three locations!
San Francisco Location
2901 Webster Street, San Francisco CA 94123
Mill Valley Location
10 Willow Street, Suite 1, Mill Valley, CA 94941
400 Professional Center Drive, Suite 421, Novato, CA 94947
firstname.lastname@example.org • (415) 780-3239
For inquiries about individual support, child therapy,
parenting support, and transition to new motherhood.
email@example.com • (415) 780-5673
For inquiries about group classes,
workshops, and educational programs.